Thursday, 9 January 2014

Its starts with a dark stage

I remember the heat in the theater. The crowd was all round me. Strangers were pressing into me. The bodies of the crowd were heating up the room. I had been standing for over an hour. Not being able to move. My feet were beginning to ache. But I knew that it was going to be worth it. The anticipation was building. The room was dark, with a few lights to fill the big space. The people around me were cast in red hues from the coloured spot lights.
 The sound of a thousand conversations was deafening. Too many voices to be able to follow what one person was saying to another. The people’s voice was just noise. I looked over at my friend. We had been split up as soon as the opening band had started. Catching his eye. I smiled. A smile that spread across my face. He looked back at me
‘This is going to be awesome,’. I think he said.
But for all I know he could have been talking about the cute girl two rows in front of us. He was too far away for me to make out what he had said. It didn’t really matter. This was going to be an amazing experience. A show to remember.
This was a gig that we had been looking forward to for a long time. We had been waiting to go to this ever since they had announced the tour. This was going to be fantastic. Their last album had been spectacular. A massive double edition that ranged a huge spectrum of styles. Full of big sounds, crazy lyrics and amazing imagery.
I can’t remember what their first song was. Or what their set list was. I do remember the roar as they came on stage. The presence that they had. The force of nature that he was, roaring the first words into the microphone over the Screech of the distorted violin. I don’t remember my legs hurting once the music took over. I don’t remember if I saing along. But I probably did. I was overcome with awe as songs that I had listened to a hundred times were re worked. They were familiar, I knew every word. The dip and rise of the tune. The thump of the drums. But I could only remember them from the static recordings.
These were new fresh. It was like I was hearing them for the first time. In that moment I couldn’t remember the old. Taken away by a familiar song that was new and refreshing. This was what I had come to see. What I had been waiting for. This was more that I could have ever imagined. It was a religious experience. I was wrapped up in a sermon by Nick Cave and his apostles the Bad Seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment